After 26 years of life, my mother finally decided I needed to learn how to can. Maybe it was because she noticed me hauling out boxes of canned peaches, beans, jam and anything else I could carry, whenever I came home to visit. What can I say, everything is better homemade... or home canned...
So one weekend earlier this fall I made my way up to Idaho Falls to learn this domestic skill.
We were a pretty good team.
I came home to can peaches... we got a little carried away...
My parents have raspberry bushes and had a ton of raspberries that they had picked in case I wanted to make some raspberry jam. Yes, please.
We made one batch the first day and another one the next day! My mom said this would be a fabulous neighbor gift for Christmas... but what if I want to eat it all myself...
Peaches were pretty fun, I might have eaten a few too many and gotten a belly ache :)
blanching the peaches
pressure cooker
I can't wait to eat some of these beautiful peaches. I was so proud!
We also made two big batches of frozen peach cocktail... with peaches, pineapple and grapes. It is so delicious!
Just when we thought we were done... we decided to can a few diced tomatoes... since they have tones a fresh tomatoes from their garden that they needed to use. We use them!
We added fresh basil, garlic and oregano to about half of them. I can't wait to use them!
Now I am officially domestic. But I definitely couldn't have done it without my mom. She is the canning queen!










No comments:
Post a Comment