Sunday, September 8, 2013

LOTOJA

A bike race from Logan, UT to Jackson, WY

206 miles
3 states
1 day

Sounds a little nuts rights!?  This has been a dream for Jake and I, sort of a "that would be really awesome but will probably never happen" kind of a dream.

We signed up in April as a relay team and because it is a lottery to get in, we knew it was a long shot.
The next day I received an email saying that I was in...

We called to find out how I was in and the rest of my team hadn't received an email. They told us that the only riders who had received notification were past winners, members of a prestigious club or large donors... which I didn't fall into any category, but they assured us there was no mistakes made.

I decided to google my name "Courtney Larsen LOTOJA." Apparently I am a male who won a few years ago!  Ha Ha!  

So our team made it in by a fluke... be we were excited and nervous to ride this crazy ride!  We trained all summer and felt pretty good by the day of the race.


Jake rode the 1st leg from Logan to Preston.


Here he is at the starting line!



He killed it. The next rider was Jill, Jeff's cousin. 
She rode from Preston to Montpelier.


Kathy, Jake's aunt rode the 3rd leg from Montpelier to Afton.


We saw Jeff and cheered him on as well!  He was riding in the relay with another team.


Jake and Jill split the 4th leg from Afton to Alpine.




Jake rode with me during part of my leg, 
the last and final stretch from Alpine to Jackson!



Crossing the finish line!



My parents came to cheer me on as I crossed the finish line. Carolyn drove our support vehicle and followed us the whole day.  It was so fantastic to have the support of our parents throughout the day! 


We had an amazing time!  It was such a great accomplishment and something to cross off my bucket list!  I hope that we will be back for many years.

No comments: